The Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario is a pediatric health and research facility providing outstanding family-centered patient care, pioneering breakthrough research, and training the health care professionals of tomorrow. Working alongside hospital personnel, the CHEO Foundation helps to fund the needs of the hospital. Community support allows the CHEO Foundation to assist the hospital in providing a wide variety of pediatric programs, research, state-of the art equipment, medical and nursing education, and assistance for families in crisis.
SUPPORTING KIDS WITH CANCER
The children and youth confronted with a cancer diagnosis rely on the staff at CHEO to help them through this difficult journey. The staff’s expertise, innovative research, and special brand of care enable all oncology patients at CHEO be their healthiest. Currently patients with an oncology diagnosis have an 80% survival rate. By continuously investing in research and devising new treatment plans our goal is to someday eradicate all pediatric cancers.
100% of net proceeds will benefit oncology care and research at CHEO.
DID YOU KNOW?
- On average 75 kids are diagnosed with cancer each year at CHEO.
- Our oncology team treats close to 200 cancer patients every year.
- Each patient receives a treatment plan unique to them.
- When a patient reaches the end of his/her treatment they get to ‘ring the bell.’ This bell ceremony is special to families, friends and CHEO staff. It’s an opportunity for the patient to signify they have reached the end of treatment and celebrate with loved ones who have supported them along the way.
- Senior scientists at CHEO are manufacturing oncolytic viruses capable of attacking cancer cells, while leaving healthy cells intact. This very promising therapy just began the clinical trial phase in adults.